Monday 17 October 2011

Week 5 - Mirroring the mesh

The next step for my model was to mirror my mesh so that I would have a full face mesh. The video tutorials gave different methods which can be used to do this (for example, the mirror modifier and the symmetry modifier) I decided to use the symmetry modifier because if you edit one side of the object, it will always be duplicated on the other side and it does not matter on the viewport's current position. However, when you mirror an object, the viewport's current position is taken into account and if it has not been set up correctly, any adjustments made will be displayed differently on the mirrored object. Also, if the model is exported or imported into a different piece of software used for editing 3D, the vertices on the cloned side of the face would be inverted using the mirror modifier, but they would not be inverted if the symmetry modifier is used. In the instance of this project and the face should look roughly the same, symmetry is the best modifier to use for the job.

After applying the modifier, the viewport looks like this:


Initially, the modifier has placed the symmetry the wrong way and only displays in the middle of the face. To correct this, I flipped it and moved the clone out so that the the two sides are only just joining in the middle. The image below shows my face mesh after these steps were carried out: 



 I modified the mesh colour just for the time being to make the "skin" look more realistic. I then used the Turbo Smooth modifier to smooth the mesh and give the face a more natural shape. The image below shows my final result: 


No comments:

Post a Comment