Monday 17 October 2011

Week 5 - Making minor adjustments

I thought I had better make some final adjustments to my mesh because i was unhappy with certain aspects of it. This is my original mesh straight from adding the symmetry modifier to it:



There are quite a few issues which were not apparent before I added the modifier because I only had one side of the face apparent and it looked like a close match to my reference plates.


The things which needed adjusting were: 
  1. Forehead - the forehead was too pronounced and needs to be smoothed out to give a more realistic look.
  2. Bridge of the nose - too thin and needs to be made thicker to fit in with the rest of the nose. 
  3. Face - slightly out of the reference plates. This is due to both the fact that I used the Turbo Smooth modifier and all my features were made too small and that one side of my face is slightly bigger than the other. 
  4. Eye position - slightly out of the reference plates. 
  5. Cheeks - too bumpy and need to be smoothed out. 
How these things were adjusted: 

  1. Forehead - I moved the vertices and edges of the forehead to give it a flatter appearance. I found that using the perspective viewport really aided in this, so that I had a bird's-eye view of the top of the forehead and therefore making it easier to ensure that I am moving the correct points.
  2. Bridge of the nose - was adjusted by moving the vertices which linked the nose and eye together further towards the left position along the X direction. This error was possibly due to not following the reference plates as closely as I should have.
  3. Face - I made the face bigger and realigned the new face shape. This looked much better than previously, however it did mean that my mouth is slightly out of the reference plates. However this should not be so much of a problem because I can just move the reference plate.
  4. Eye position - This issue was corrected when I adjusted the bridge of the nose.
  5. Cheeks - These were smoothed out in a similar way to the forehead.
 This is the result after all of the above were applied:






I was still very unhappy with the material effect on my face so I modified the material to make it less shiny:

After applying a lighting effect:



I am very pleased with the final effect of my face mesh and I am now willing to proceed with the finer details, such as the nose, eyes and lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment