Thursday 15 December 2011

UVW Mapping - UV Co-Ordinates for the ear

Now that the face and head UV co-ordinates have been positioned correctly, it is now time for the ear. I found the ear much more tricky because there were a lot more overlapping faces, particularly where the ear joins to the head. Like when I created the UV co-ordinates before, I selected the ear. However, instead of using a cylindrical map, I used a pelt which is more suitable for more detailed and complex shapes.


After clicking edit to edit the map, I was shown the image below: 


In order to flatten the faces of the ear mesh, I had to use the relax tool, similarly to when I trying to flatten the eye and nose mesh. As you can see from the image below, although there were a few problem areas, they were easily fixed manually by using the move tool.


This is much better than how the ear UV co-ordinates looked previously. However, the co-ordinates are disproportionate to the rest of the head. This indicates that the map is much larger than the head and this will be rectified in the next step.


Next, I unhid the unselected objects and as I mentioned above, the ear is much bigger than the head. I resized the ear to make it more proportional.


Just to check the ear map is still in a good state after resizing, and making any necessary adjustments to reomove overlapping and inverted edges.


The ear was then positioned inside the ear for fit. The fit was not exact though so the ear has been moved away for now. It just means that I have to be extra careful when it comes to seams around the ear after applying the bump material.


No comments:

Post a Comment